Loneliness is a common feeling among students who move to a new city to pursue their academic goals. Being specially true for those who are not familiar with the local culture and struggle to make friends. However, students in the city of Porto can take several steps to avoid being lonely and make the most of their time in this vibrant and friendly city.
Join clubs and organizations
- The city of Porto has a thriving student community with various clubs and organizations catering to different interests. From sports clubs to cultural associations, there are plenty of opportunities for students to meet like-minded individuals. Therefore,form friendships and overcome loneliness. Joining a club or organization is an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local culture and get involved in activities that align with one's interests.
- Porto is known for its lively music scene, cultural festivals, and sporting events. Furthermore students can check out local event calendars and attend events that interest them. Lastly, creating an excellent way to explore the city, meet new people, overcome loneliness and have fun while doing so. Some popular events include the NOS Primavera Sound music festival, the Porto International Film Festival, and the São João Festival.
NOS Primavera Sound
Porto International Film Festival
São João Festival
- Volunteering is a great way to overcome loneliness by meeting new people while giving back to the community. Porto has several organizations that rely on volunteers to carry out their work, from animal shelters to community gardens. Students can find volunteering opportunities through local community centers or online platforms such as Volunteer World and HelpX.
Take up a new hobby
- Finding a new hobby is a great way to overcome loneliness, by meeting new people and explore one's interests. In fact, Porto offers several opportunities for students to take up new hobbies. For example, from learning to surf at Matosinhos Beach to taking cooking classes at local culinary schools. Students can also try their hand at traditional crafts such as pottery or knitting by signing up for workshops offered by local artisans.
Explore the city
- Porto is a beautiful city with a rich history and culture. Making it possible for students can explore the city on foot, bike, or public transport and discover hidden gems such as the Livraria Lello bookstore, the Clerigos Tower, and the Ribeira district. Exploring the city is an excellent way to learn more about the local culture and history and meet new people along the way, helping you deal with loneliness.
- In conclusion, students in the city of Porto can avoid loneliness by taking advantage of the various opportunities available to them. Thus, joining clubs and organizations to attending events and exploring the city, there are plenty of ways to meet new people and have fun while doing so. Finally, taking an active role in their social lives, students can make the most of their time in Porto and create memories that will last a lifetime.